LaPorte County Recorder
Barbara A. Dean, Recorder
555 Michigan Ave, Suite 201
LaPorte, IN 46350
Phone: 219-326-6808 Ext. 2280, 2234, 2209
The Recorder's Office will be opening the Vault to searchers every Wednesday, 8 A.M. - 11:30 A.M. and Thursday, 1:30 P.M. - 4:00 P.M. Vault Information
What We Do
- Records any instrument submitted for recording, providing it meets essential requirements.
- Makes all recorded documents a matter of public record.
- Files Uniform Commercial Code Instruments.
- Supplies copies of any instrument and certifies to those recorded upon request. (See Fee Schedule)
- Provides public access to all recorded documents.
The county recorder's function is to maintain permanent public records involving a wide variety of instruments. These documents detail transactions involving real estate, mining, personal property, mortgages, liens, leases, subdivision plats, military discharges, personal bonds, etc.
Generally, all of these instruments are recorded either for giving legal public notice of their existence or for safekeeping and future reference. The recorder maintains and preserves all legal documents affecting title to real property. These records are the legal basis for determining ownership. The degree with which the recorder fulfills his or her responsibilities ultimately forms the legal foundation for the institution of private property. The recorder is a member of the county commission on public records, which has authority over the preservation or disposition of all public records maintained by the county. (Generally see IC 36-2-11 for the duties of the county recorder).